Braces have long been the accepted form of teeth straightening, but for those who do not want to have to deal with the clunky wires and diet restrictions, Invisalign® provides a quality alternative. Whereas regular braces are strewn together with invasive metal wires, this system's clear aligners appear invisible when placed in the mouth. Patients…
A Smile Makeover: The Pros and Cons
A smile makeover is right for anyone who is not happy with the way their teeth look. Such people often find themselves trying not to smile in public and constantly worrying about what others might think about their appearance.
Popular treatments used in cosmetic dentistry include:
- Teeth whitening: This involves using a bleaching agent to whiten the inner and outer layers of a patient's teeth and leads to noticeable results after a single treatment
- Composite bonding: A tooth-colored composite is used to restore and repair teeth
- Veneers: Thin, tooth-shaped shells cover the front of a tooth
- Crowns: Tooth-like covers enclose a damaged, discolored, weakened or disfigured tooth
- Implants: These replace lost teeth and their roots
- Dentures: These are artificial teeth and a framework that rests on the gums
- Bridges: These are used to close gaps between teeth
- Implant-supported dentures: These are a combination of implants and dentures
- Orthodontic devices like braces and clear aligners: These can straighten crooked or otherwise maligned teeth
- Gum reduction: These can help fix a gummy smile
Thanks to modern innovations in dentistry, there is virtually no smile that is too bad to be fixed. The treatments each person receives are based on their unique circumstances. Some patients only require one or two procedures to completely transform their smiles, while others need significantly more work to address all the problems they are dealing with.
While cosmetic dentistry makes it possible for anyone to craft their perfect smiles, there are still improvements to be made.
The pros of a smile makeover
People who improve the appearance of their teeth can enjoy these benefits:
- Stains are removed from their teeth
- It can hide gaps between a patient's teeth
- It can fix a variety of teeth alignment issues
- It can be used to hide dental problems the patient is dealing with
- The patient's self-esteem and confidence is improved
- It makes patients appear younger
- It gives patients extra motivation to take proper care of their teeth
- It can prevent the formation of wrinkles and other signs of aging
Cons of a smile makeover
While most people would love to enjoy all the benefits that cosmetic dentistry has to offer, there are a few things they might not be as happy about. The not-so-amazing aspects of restoring the appearance of one's teeth include:
- Some of the treatments used are not covered by insurance companies
- The cost of some prosthetics can be quite expensive
- Some treatments come with a recovery period; for example, the installation of implants requires oral surgery, and that can lead to a few days off work or school
- Patients might experience tooth sensitivity, pain or some discomfort after certain treatments; for example, teeth whitening treatments can lead to temporary tooth sensitivity
- Smile makeovers are not the best option for people who are not ready to practice good oral hygiene
- Some procedures require multiple trips to the dentist, and this can lead to lost wages or time away from school
- It can take a while to complete certain treatments; for example, some patients might have to wear braces for up to two years to address teeth alignment issues
Get evaluated today
If you are thinking about enhancing the appearance of your teeth, stop by our Franklin office to learn more about your options.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Everyone needs a smile makeover if they are displeased with the look or feel of their smile. Crooked smiles, damaged or dull teeth, gummy smiles, or misaligned bites can all be valid reasons for getting a smile makeover. If any of these issues are present, a smile makeover may be worth the investment. Unlike other…
Considering getting clear braces because you want your teeth-traightening option to be as discreet as possible? Many adults who have less-than-straight teeth will simply choose to live with them, as they do not want to wear traditional braces due to all of the metal. Now that there are discreet options available for straightening crooked teeth,…
Wondering if you should choose dental implants as your tooth replacement option? While there are a few replacement options available nowadays, dental implants are the only option that looks and acts just like a natural tooth.Once a dental implant is placed in your mouth, it becomes a permanent part of your mouth structure. This means…