When it comes to preventing cavities, you probably know from your family dentist that you should brush your teeth at least twice a day or even after every meal if possible. This is especially important for patients with orthodontic appliances that can trap bacteria. But any patient can benefit from mouthwash. Mouthwash can kill harmful…
A Smile Makeover: The Pros and Cons
A smile makeover is right for anyone who is not happy with the way their teeth look. Such people often find themselves trying not to smile in public and constantly worrying about what others might think about their appearance.
Popular treatments used in cosmetic dentistry include:
- Teeth whitening: This involves using a bleaching agent to whiten the inner and outer layers of a patient's teeth and leads to noticeable results after a single treatment
- Composite bonding: A tooth-colored composite is used to restore and repair teeth
- Veneers: Thin, tooth-shaped shells cover the front of a tooth
- Crowns: Tooth-like covers enclose a damaged, discolored, weakened or disfigured tooth
- Implants: These replace lost teeth and their roots
- Dentures: These are artificial teeth and a framework that rests on the gums
- Bridges: These are used to close gaps between teeth
- Implant-supported dentures: These are a combination of implants and dentures
- Orthodontic devices like braces and clear aligners: These can straighten crooked or otherwise maligned teeth
- Gum reduction: These can help fix a gummy smile
Thanks to modern innovations in dentistry, there is virtually no smile that is too bad to be fixed. The treatments each person receives are based on their unique circumstances. Some patients only require one or two procedures to completely transform their smiles, while others need significantly more work to address all the problems they are dealing with.
While cosmetic dentistry makes it possible for anyone to craft their perfect smiles, there are still improvements to be made.
The pros of a smile makeover
People who improve the appearance of their teeth can enjoy these benefits:
- Stains are removed from their teeth
- It can hide gaps between a patient's teeth
- It can fix a variety of teeth alignment issues
- It can be used to hide dental problems the patient is dealing with
- The patient's self-esteem and confidence is improved
- It makes patients appear younger
- It gives patients extra motivation to take proper care of their teeth
- It can prevent the formation of wrinkles and other signs of aging
Cons of a smile makeover
While most people would love to enjoy all the benefits that cosmetic dentistry has to offer, there are a few things they might not be as happy about. The not-so-amazing aspects of restoring the appearance of one's teeth include:
- Some of the treatments used are not covered by insurance companies
- The cost of some prosthetics can be quite expensive
- Some treatments come with a recovery period; for example, the installation of implants requires oral surgery, and that can lead to a few days off work or school
- Patients might experience tooth sensitivity, pain or some discomfort after certain treatments; for example, teeth whitening treatments can lead to temporary tooth sensitivity
- Smile makeovers are not the best option for people who are not ready to practice good oral hygiene
- Some procedures require multiple trips to the dentist, and this can lead to lost wages or time away from school
- It can take a while to complete certain treatments; for example, some patients might have to wear braces for up to two years to address teeth alignment issues
Get evaluated today
If you are thinking about enhancing the appearance of your teeth, stop by our Franklin office to learn more about your options.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
To avoid an emergency dentist visit and prevent cavities, what you eat is an important factor. The foods you eat impact your general health as well as your teeth and gums. Eating a well-balanced diet is always recommended. Read on to find out some food choices that are good for your health.Changes in the mouth…
A smile makeover is a way for patients to achieve the smile of their dreams and increase their confidence. By learning about who makes an ideal candidate for smile makeover treatment, you can determine whether the process is right for you. Every patient is unique, so smile makeover procedures required and preferred throughout the process vary.…
The Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure, known as LANAP, is a treatment option that dentists use to treat moderate to severe gum disease, which is a problem that affects over 80% of the adults in the United States (National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research).The minimally invasive procedure has become popular in recent years because…