Preventative Dental Care Franklin, TN
At New Image Dentistry, we provide preventative dental care for patients throughout the Franklin area and invite you to schedule a dental exam today. Preventative dental care is simply the practice of completing preventative visits to the dentist and hygienist at least once every six months for a dental cleaning and exam. Early detection of dental conditions such as cavities or gum disease is critical in treating these conditions promptly and conservatively before they become more serious and costly. If you haven't been to the dentist in a while, now is the time to schedule an exam so that you can prevent many common oral health issues that can negatively impact your quality of life. We provide comfortable preventative dental care and make it our primary goal to ensure that your appointment is a positive experience.
We practice preventative dental care at New Image Dentistry and are regularly asked why it is so important. Virtually everyone is at risk for tooth decay. Tooth decay is so common that it is the number one infectious disease among children in the United States. Additionally, according to the NIH, 92 percent of adults ages 20 to 64 have had a cavity. With odds like these, the benefits of preventative care such as having your teeth cleaned on a routine basis become fairly clear. A Gallup study found that in states like Connecticut, where 74 percent of the adult population visits the dentist regularly, complete adult tooth loss is very low – 10 percent. However, in states where people don't visit the dentist regularly like West Virginia, complete tooth loss is incredibly high (up to 37 percent). These facts paint a bleak picture for those who don't visit the dentist on a regular basis; however, the good news is that you can prevent cavities and tooth loss by simply scheduling preventative dental care appointments. To get started, call our office at (615) 526-2493. Our friendly team will be happy to schedule an appointment for a time that works with your job and family schedule so that you can receive the care that you need.
It’s Your Time
According to the Center for Disease Control, around 164 million work hours are missed every single year due to dental issues. If you don't have time for the dentist, this should be cause for concern. Not taking an hour to have your teeth cleaned can cause you to become part of the statistic. If you have a demanding job or a busy life with the kids, you don't have time to be preoccupied with a dental emergency or severe toothache. The best defense to prevent a dental emergency is to brush and floss at home and to visit our office for preventative dental care. A regular dental exam and teeth cleaning takes about an hour, and can be completed on your lunch break. We encourage you to take the time to schedule a dental exam and cleaning today to prevent inconvenient emergencies in the future.
Preventative Dental Care Can Save You Money
In addition to helping you avoid a painful toothache and saving time, preventative dental care can also save you money. At New Image Dentistry, we can oftentimes treat your tooth decay or infected tooth the same day, eliminating the need for multiple visits. It is also important to note that if you have a small cavity, all that you will likely need is for the decayed portion to be removed. A tooth-colored filling can then restore the missing tooth structure. While the cost of every procedure depends on the extent of the work being done, a good rule of thumb is that a filling will cost around a third of what a crown will cost. Early detection and treatment of cavities can prevent the need for more costly treatment. Unfortunately, those that do not receive regular dental care often wait until the discomfort is so severe that they can't stand it any longer. By this point, the decay or infection is likely to be so severe that a root canal and crown will be necessary. Given the higher cost, you could have several fillings for the price of one crown. Therefore, preventative dental care makes financial sense.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Preventative Dental Care Franklin
Deep Cleaning Can Prevent Tooth Loss
Another way that preventative dental care can save you money is in the realm of tooth loss. A leading causes of tooth loss among adults is gum disease. If plaque and bacteria are left on your gums and teeth, it can become trapped underneath the gum tissue. This can cause them to swell and bleed. During regular dental appointments, we can identify early signs of gum disease and perform a deep cleaning if necessary. Once the plaque and bacteria have been removed, your gums should return to good health. However, if gum disease is left untreated, your gums can start to recede, and pockets can be created in the gum tissue. This will expose your teeth to attack, bone, and tooth loss. At that point, you will be forced to either live with a missing tooth or replace it using dentures, a dental bridge or a dental implant. All of these solutions are effective and can restore your smile. They will, however, cost you significantly more money than what you would spend on a simple teeth cleaning and dental exam. The cost comparison is truly no comparison at all. If you are budget conscious, having your teeth regularly cleaned should, therefore, be a top priority. At New Image Dentistry, we can work with you to create a plan for preventative dental care and address any current health issues that you have so that your dental work is affordable. If you live in the Franklin area, don't delay in scheduling your dental exam. Call 615-526-2493 today.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Enamel Loss
- Enamel loss can result from multiple health issues including tooth erosion and occurs when acids slowly wears away the enamel.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Oral Cancer Screening
- An oral cancer screening can be a part of a regular dental checkup with a professional checking the gums and face for any signs of oral cancer.
- Periodontitis is a condition that occurs when inflammation of the gums surrounding the teeth causes the gums to shrink and loosen the teeth.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Secondary Health Problems
- Secondary health problems require the treatment of a specialist in a specific field instead of a general dentist to receive more than just a regular checkup.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
- Topical Fluoride Treatment
- A topical fluoride treatment is typically a type of gel-like substance that people can apply to their teeth, such as toothpaste.
Back to top of Preventative Dental Care
Professional dental cleaning can be extremely beneficial in maintaining good oral health and a beautiful, bright smile that is free of any stains.While teeth can stay fairly clean through good oral hygiene and a consistent dental care routine, a buildup of tartar can occur over time despite efforts to prevent it, which is why it…
Have you ever gone to a dental check-up and then left without asking key questions that you had for your dentist? If so, then you are not alone.In order to ensure important information about your dental health is discussed at your dental check-up, be sure to formulate your questions before heading out.In most cases, the…
Any general dentist will tell you that regular dental visits are a vital component of an oral hygiene routine. But many people believe that good oral care means they only need to brush their teeth and floss daily. While these actions are important, it is also necessary to schedule regular dental appointments for a checkup…
Primary care or general dentists are the dental professionals people see most frequently. They handle teeth cleanings and oral emergencies and often oversee the treatment of underlying conditions like periodontal disease. Also known as family dentists, these healthcare professionals are essential parts of an individual's healthcare team. When a person must find a new dentist…